It’s 2020. The world is fighting a pandemic, one that spreads like wildfire. But how can you beat it? Vaccine? Yes, but that’s not coming very soon. Then how? The simplest way - hand washing!
The importance of handwashing today
By simply using soap and water to wash our hands regularly, we can protect ourselves from COVID. Thus, practicing hygiene in every aspect of our lives has never been more essential. This starts with keeping our homes and offices clean and encouraging everyone to follow the proper handwashing techniques as prescribed by the World Health Organisation.
The proper handwashing procedure to follow
The WHO has released guidelines outlining the proper handwashing techniques, and the procedure that should be followed every time a person comes in contact with shared surfaces. These five simple steps can protect you from infection even if you do come in contact with a source of infection. These steps are outlined below:
1. Wet your hands with clean, cold or warm water. Turn off the tap. Apply soap. Instead of using a shared bar of soap which may transmit germs, ensure that you are using a soap dispenser or a bottle of foaming hand wash.
2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Don’t miss the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Tip: If water and soap are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser. Try and carry one with you wherever you go, to ensure you can control the hygiene around you.
What is the ideal handwashing time?
Ideally, you should wash your hands carefully -
- whenever you cough, sneeze or blow your nose
- before and after you prepare food or eat
- while caring for someone sick
- before and after treating a wound
- after using the toilet
- after touching an animal
- after touching garbage
Try to make sure that you wash your hands for at least 20 seconds each time, and repeat the process after every few hours.
By following the correct handwashing techniques and using some basic cleaning supplies to keep our office and home clean, we can safeguard ourselves and those around us from COVID-19 even more effectively.
We hope you found this information about handwashing practices during COVID helpful. Get all the products necessary for keeping your workplace and home clean and hygienic from One Stop Cleaning Supplies, your go-to partner for home and professional cleaning supplies and equipment. Call us on 1300 131 700, email us on [email protected], or explore our website for the latest updates!